Friday, November 23, 2018

I now have a teenager

When I was diagnosed my kids were "so young". As if that were the tragic part of the whole experience. I often wonder why people would say that to me. Yeah, you read that right. People would say that to me all the time. "Wow - your kids were 2 and 4? That's so young!" As if I needed a reminder that my kids could grow up without even remembering their mother. But now, it's been just over 8 years and the kids are growing up - or should I say - have already grown up. At 13 and 11 there's no risk they won't remember me now. They've reached the age where they're practically taking care of themselves. The funny thing is that it's the cancer that they don't remember. They've heard me talk about it - particularly since my 11 year old just got the HPV vaccine. But to them it's clinical and abstract. I get eye-rolls when I talk about health. Just this week I was told that I was being silly because I chastised my kid for not washing a pear. I was told: "If pesticides were going to kill me they would have done it already." I can hardly remember what it was like to be so carefree. But I was once like that. Full of confidence that I was invincible and that nothing could get me down.

I'm not that carefree anymore. Don't get me wrong, I don't spend my days worrying that my cancer will return. In fact it sometimes is so far down on my priority list that I even forget to make the appointments to do my annual exams on time. Last year I never got my blood drawn. However, it has robbed me of being completely carefree. But I expect that nobody who has lived this long has made it through untouched by tragedy in some form or another. As we head into the holiday season I'm hoping that I can touch people in a positive way; to brighten someone's day just a bit. Take their minds off all their troubles with a friendly smile or a kind gesture. So, to anyone who still follows this or stumbles on this, I wish you all my love as we head into December 2018. 

1 comment:

  1. Being a vampire has certain limitations, but it can also be a ton of fun. Your extra strengths and abilities can make you successful in almost every endeavor you participate in and before you know it the money and acquaintances will come streaming in. You can build wealth and gain prestige and notoriety and attempt things you may never have even considered as a human. One thing you will definitely have more of is time. Beef up your education and learn all you every wanted to. Travel the world to see things most people only ever see on TV This is going to be especially fun if you turned to share your life with one of us. Let us show you the wonders of the world. Learn new languages, go skydiving or scuba dive with sharks, visit the African safari. You no longer need to be scared of nature or wildlife – you will have become the worlds strongest predator. Have fun with it and your life as a vampire can be more fulfilling than you ever dreamed. Explore, experiment, experience and get excited. There’s a big world out there with lots to see and do and as a vampire, you can do it all. If your dream is to become a powerful person in life contact: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete